ISCB Now Accepting Applications for Editor in Chief
for New Open Access Journal
The International Society for Computational Biology (ISCB) is inviting applications for the position of Editor-in-Chief of a new, open access journal provisionally titled Bioinformatics Advances.
The journal will be a broad-scope, open-access journal dealing with multiple aspects of computational biology, with a focus on novel methodology and discovery. The Editorial team will consist of ISCB appointments led by an experienced Editor-in-Chief and supported by a further team of Associate Editors and a scientific advisory board.
The incoming editor will lead the journal, in close collaboration with ISCB and OUP, and thereafter guide the journal's editorial direction with sound stewardship. Tenure of a five-year minimum commitment is anticipated to begin January 2021.
Candidates should have a strong record of recognized scholarship, a broad base of knowledge in the field, demonstrated leadership and communication skills, and appropriate time to devote to the journal. Understanding of publishing ethics and familiarity with an open access journal model is essential. Previous editorial experience and a clearly articulated goal and vision for the initial phase of journal launch followed by a long term vision with aspects which include: scientific direction, relationship with ISCB affiliated groups, conferences, Communities of Special Interest (COSIs), the cascade model from Bioinformatics and expression of achieving diversity and equality representation are other key factors on which candidates will be evaluated.
If interested, please submit the following (using the online application) by October 19, 2020:
- Vision for Bioinformatics Advances (articulate short-term, long-term goals, scientific direction, working relationship with ISCB groups (conferences, COSIs, etc) [300-word limit]
- Reasons for your interest in this position [300-word limit]
- Brief description of research and/or interests and current fields of activity [100-word limit]
- Prior editorial experience, including work in the following roles: Editor, Associate Editor, and/or Editorial Board Member of a journal [100-word limit]
- Brief description of leadership positions held [100-word limit]
- Estimate of the amount of time per week that can be devoted to the position
- Other personal qualifications and/or comments that may be relevant for the selection committee [300-word limit]
Publisher: Oxford University Press
Format: Open access. The journal will accept original research, methods papers and application notes.
Frequency: Continuous publication by volume
Expected manuscript submissions: Approximately 50 transfers from Bioinformatics with a target of 25 direct submissions, which will primarily be commissioned, in the first year.
Editorial structure: The Editor-in-Chief will be selected by ISCB and reports to the ISCB via the established channels. The Editor-in-Chief will be supported by a team of Associate Editors, to be appointed in consultation with the Editor-in-Chief, and an Editorial Board who serve at the Editor’s invitation. An Editorial Office Manager will complete the editorial team.
The Editor is responsible for the strategic development and editorial direction of the journal consistent with the stated vision as agreed with and approved by ISCB, as well as the overall management of journal editorial operations.
General functions of the editorial team include soliciting new content, evaluating submitted manuscripts, managing the peer review process, and communicating with authors, reviewers, and the editorial team. The Associate Editors will be directly responsible for the editorial decisions of manuscripts assigned to them. In collaboration with the editorial team, the staff, and the publisher, with consultation of the ISCB Publications Committee, the Editor in Chief will draft the initial editorial policies and conduct annual reviews of the policies to ensure consistency with evolving best practices and industry norms. Author guidelines are updated as needed to ensure accuracy and assist authors.
Expectations of the quality of the content are set by the Editor, in consultation with ISCB and OUP; these are communicated clearly and consistently to the editorial team, and authors. The role and function of the Editorial Board is determined by the Editor.
As many of the OUP journals have two co-Editor in Chiefs, it will be interesting to know the possible interest and opinion of the applicant on this issue. If you wish to serve with a co-Editor in Chief, include the name of the other and position statement in the reasons for your interest in the position section of the application.
Peer review process: the manuscript submission and peer review processes will be managed using the ScholarOne online system. This system allows authors, reviewers, editors, and staff to perform tasks related to manuscript submissions and peer review independently, online, at any time of day, and from any location. Many actions are either automated or completed with the assistance of the Editorial Office Manager. Technical support is available through ScholarOne, with additional support provided by the editorial office manager and the publisher.
Travel: on an annual basis, the Editor is expected to attend the ISCB annual meeting (2021: July 25-29 in Lyon, France; 2022: July 10 - 14 in Madison, Wisconsin) to meet with the ISCB Board of Directors, Publications Committee, Executive Committee, as well as the journal’s editorial board of Associate Editors, publisher and editorial board.
Operational support: all business services and vendor relationships related to the production, sales, and marketing of the journal are managed by ISCB and the journal publisher.
Editor Role and Responsibilities
The primary responsibilities of the Editor are to provide editorial leadership and strategic stewardship of the journal and to guide the journal’s editorial direction. In fulfilling these responsibilities, the Editor ensures the journal’s content fulfills the journal vision, provides value to its readership, and reflects the highest standards of scientific value and integrity; the Editor also ensures journal operations are conducted in accordance with industry standards and best ethical and publishing practices.
The initial tenure for this position is a five-year term. Tenure extensions are decided upon mutual agreement.
In overseeing the journal’s content and operations, the Editor-in-Chief’s specific responsibilities are as follows:
- Work closely with ISCB on journal vision, setting priorities, and working to leverage the journal to further the ISCB’s mission
- Ensure that all articles accepted for publication have undergone a rigorous, objective, and timely peer review process.
- Act as final arbiter, determining acceptance or rejection of all materials submitted for potential publication and ensure a steady supply of high-quality content.
- Manage Associate Editors and oversee performance of their assigned roles and responsibilities, such as coordinating the peer review process.
- Enroll and maintain an active, well respected, and technically competent Editorial Board whose members reflect geographical, demographic and cultural diversity and multidisciplinary expertise across the range of disciplines.
- Maintain technical currency in and uphold recognized standards of high quality and ethical practice for scholarly publications.
- Enroll and maintain qualified reviewers with diverse areas of expertise to consistently contribute to the peer review process by judging the technical merit of submissions.
- Ensure the journal’s content is valuable to its readership and inspires growth in journal usage and submissions in collaboration with ISCB.
- Communicate clearly, effectively, promptly, and courteously with authors, reviewers, editors, editorial advisors, and journal staff.
- Cooperate with editorial staff, publisher staff, and ISCB to ensure timely publication of journal issues, effective marketing initiatives, and implementation of state-of-the-art technologies in the production process.
- Handle author or reviewer disputes, conflicts of interest, and allegations of misconduct promptly, courteously, confidentially, and in accordance with recognized guidelines and best practices, seeking counsel on serious matters from ISCB and the journal’s Publisher.
- Oversee the management of the editorial office and related journal administrative functions.
- Ensure active engagement of the journal’s Editorial Board through regular communication and routine review of board members’ performance.