JDG ASSOCIATES, LTD.
JDG Associates has been retained by the International Society for Computational Biology to conduct the search for its Executive Officer position.
Founded in 1997, the International Society for Computational Biology (ISCB) is a scholarly society dedicated to advancing the scientific understanding of living systems through computation. The ISCB communicates the significance of the science to the larger scientific community, governments and the public at large. Representing over 3000 members in over 70 countries, ISCB works to impact government and scientific policies, provide high quality publications and meetings, and distribute valuable information about training, education and employment in the field. ISCB is a growing scientific society in a growing scientific field. A member of the Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology (FASEB) community, ISCB has a $2M annual budget, a staff of three, and a contingent of contractors. For more information please visit www.iscb.org.
Reporting to the President, the Executive Officer is responsible for efficiently and effectively running the day-to-day operations of the Society and implementing the strategic initiatives and policy decisions of the Executive Committee (EC) and the Board. The EO also provides professional management services and continuity; supports the Society’s elected and appointed volunteer leadership; liaises among staff, leadership, and members; monitors Society activities; provides a record of institutional memory; and directs the administration of the Society.
Strategic and Governance Support
- Advise EC and Board on non-profit best practices; adherence to Articles of Incorporation, bylaws, and other governing documents; and any needed changes to governing documents.
- Provide organizational and administrative support to the EC and to the Board, including logistical arrangements when appropriate, meeting agenda, appropriate documentation and drafting meeting minutes for approval.
- Work with the EC to develop and execute a strategic, long term plan for a sustainable society.
- Work with meeting consultants, organizing committees and fund raisers in the development and successful implementation all meetings and conferences
- Work with organizing committees and other stakeholders on financial planning, scheduling and logistics of all meetings.
- Provide data and analysis to assist the board in selecting meeting venues.
Committees, Task Forces, Affiliates, and Special Interest Groups
- Promote strategic affiliations with allied organizations and special interest groups (SIGs)
- Facilitate communications among the EC, the Board, SIGs, standing committees and task forces, and affiliates to achieve goals in addition to encouraging those groups be more productive and effective.
- Using various marketing strategies, manage the membership recruitment and retention process including creating new programs that will enhance member value proposition.
Marketing, Communications, and Fund Raising
- Work with the EC and the Director of Corporate Relations and Development to produce and execute a development strategy. Secure Federal grants, administer the funds, and fulfill reporting requirements.
- Develop a social media plan utilizing appropriate platforms.
- Work with EC, accountant and Treasurer to prepare the annual budget and annual audit. Ensure the Board is fully informed on the financial state of the organization, including provision of quarterly financial reports.
Bachelor’s degree is required; an advanced degree is preferred; an advanced degree in a scientific field relevant to the Society is a plus. Senior management experience in a professional society with experience in the areas of meetings, membership, publications, fundraising, marketing, outreach, and board governance/support is required. Experience with international scientific, engineering or medical societies is preferred. Must be an effective verbal and written communicator and able to give presentations to a diverse range of audiences. Negotiation, conflict resolution, problem solving and strategic thinking skills are essential as are strong financial management and budgeting skills. Travel up to 20%, including international.
Tiffany McCarty, Principal
Paul Belford, Principal
JDG Associates, Ltd.