ISCB Announces Results of the Officer Elections
The Board of Directors of the International Society for Computational Biology (ISCB) is pleased to announce the results of the recent officer elections. Members of the society elected the following as incoming officers beginning January 2014:
- President-elect – Alfonso Valencia, Ph.D., Spanish National Cancer Research Centre. Valencia is an ISCB Fellow and has been involved with the leadership of the organization since its international expansion in 2002. He currently serves on the Board of Directors, is the chair of the Fellows Committee and Awards Committee, and has been involved in other various leadership roles throughout his volunteer tenure. Valencia brings with him a long list of accolades and management experience. He will serve as President-elect starting 21 January 2014 and will serve as President beginning in 2015 for a three-year term.
- Vice President – Thomas Lengauer, Ph.D., Max Planck Institute for Informatics. Lengauer has been involved with ISCB since the late 1990s. He is a current member of the Board of Directors and was a key organizer of ISMB 1999 (Heidelberg) and ISMB 2007 (Vienna). Lengauer is also involved and a co-founder of RECOMB and ECCB. He will serve as vice president starting 21 January 2014 for a three-year term.
This year's election also included ISCB Student Council leadership. The ISCB Board of Directors is pleased to announce the elected young professionals who will lead the ISCB Student Council (SC) in 2014.
- Chair - Darbha Anupama Jigisha, University of Geneva and Swiss Institute of Bioinformatics
- Vice Chair - Umesh Nandal, Academic Medical Centre, Amsterdam
- Treasurer - Esmeralda Vicedo, Technical University of Munich
- Secretary - Tomas Di Domenico, University of Padova, Italy
- Student Council Representative to ISCB Board of Directors - Avinash Kumar Shanmugam, University of Michigan.
For additional information on ISCB's annual nominations and elections procedures please see http://iscb.org/iscb-leadership-a-staff-/officers-and-board-directors/nomination-election-procedures.
The next call for nominations of directors, officers and student council leaders will open February 2014, for terms beginning in January of 2015.