ISCB Announces Results of the 2014 Officer Elections
The Board of Directors of the International Society for Computational Biology (ISCB) is pleased to announce the results of the recent officer elections. Members of the society elected the following as incoming officers beginning January 2015:
- Secretary – Scott Markel, Ph.D., Dassault Systèmes BIOVIA, USA. Scott Markel is the Principal Bioinformatics Architect in BIOVIA's Research and Development group. He is the current Secretary for ISCB and will continue in that role. Markel is also the chair of the Publications Committee, led the ISCB executive director search task force, and is on the editorial board for both PLOS Computational Biology and OUP Bioinformatics.
- Vice President – Bonnie Berger, Ph.D., Massachusetts Institute for Technology (MIT), USA. Bonnie Berger is Professor of Applied Mathematics, and on the faculty of the Computation and Biology group at the MIT-CSAIL. She is also an affiliate member of Harvard-MIT Division of Health Sciences and Technology (HST), and MIT's Computer Science and Systems Biology initiative (CSBi). Berger is an ISCB Fellow, currently serves on ISCB board of directors, serves as the chair of the Awards Committee, and chaired ISMB 2014.
- Vice President – Christine Orengo, Ph.D., University College London, United Kingdom. Christine Orengo is a professor of Bioinformatics at the University College London. She was recently elected as a member of the European Molecular Biology Organization (EMBO). Orengo is the co-chair of the Communities of Special Interest (COSIs) Committee and played an instrumental role in developing the program. She is also the co-chair of the Conferences Committee and serves as a current member of the Executive Committee and the Board of Directors.
This year's election also included ISCB Student Council leadership. The ISCB Board of Directors is pleased to announce the elected young professionals who will lead the ISCB Student Council (SC) in 2015.
- Chair – Pieter Meysman, University of Antwerp, Belgium
- Vice Chair – Alexander Junge, University of Copenhagen, Denmark
- Treasurer – Jakob Jespersen, Broad Institute, United States
- Secretary – Tomas Di Domenico, University of Padova, Italy
- Student Council Representative to ISCB Board of Director – Jigisha Anupama Darbha, India
For additional information on ISCB's annual nominations and elections procedures please see http://iscb.org/iscb-leadership-a-staff-/officers-and-board-directors/nomination-election-procedures.
The next call for nominations of directors, officers and student council leaders will open February 2015, for terms beginning in January 2016.