Curriculum Guidelines for Colleges & Universities
Curriculum Task Force
The Curriculum Task Force of the ISCB Education Committee seeks to define curricular guidelines for those who train and educate bioinformaticians. Rapid advances in the life sciences and in related information technologies necessitate the ongoing refinement of bioinformatics educational programs in order to maintain their relevance. As the discipline of bioinformatics and computational biology expands and matures, it is important to characterize the elements that contribute to the success of professionals in this field. These individuals work in a wide variety of settings, including bioinformatics core facilities, biological and medical research laboratories, software development organizations, pharmaceutical and instrument development companies, and institutions that provide education, service, and training.
- Welch L, Lewitter F, Schwartz R, Brooksbank C, Radivojac P, et al. (2014) Bioinformatics Curriculum Guidelines: Toward a Definition of Core Competencies. PLoS Comput Biol 10(3): e1003496. doi:10.1371/journal.pcbi.1003496.
- The Genome Analysis Center News, March 12, 2014.
- Defining Guidelines for Bioinformatics Curricula, GenomeWeb Bioinform, March 21, 2014.
- Welch LR, Schwartz R, Lewitter F (2012) A Report of the Curriculum Task Force of the ISCB Education Committee. PLoS Comput Biol 8(6): e1002570. doi:10.1371/journal.pcbi.1002570.
- Education Committee Blog to Seek Input for a Bioinformatics Curriculum ( Draft version 1.27.12 )