In an effort to find ways to further highlight the achievements of our members and reward members for their support and dedication to ISCB, ISCB is pleased to introduce the ISCB Senior Member designation.
In 2014, after the results of the membership assessment survey were released to the ISCB Board of Directors, ISCB initiated several task forces to analyze the Society and identify areas of weakness. The Benefits and Program Analysis Task Force identified the need to provide additional incentives for professional members to encourage them to renew their membership annually and reward those members who have shown support to ISCB over the years. After careful deliberation and discussion, the task force recommended the establishment of the ISCB Senior Member designation.
A successful candidate for Senior ISCB Member must have demonstrated sustained contributions to the field of computational biology or to ISCB.
Criteria for the Elevation to a Senior member Status:
1. Five or more years of continuous professional membership in ISCB at the time of nomination.
2. Ten years of professional experience in the field.*
3. Demonstrated sustained professional performance.**
* The ten-year period begins in the year of earning doctoral degree or its equivalent. Candidates with pre-doctoral degrees can use five years of additional professional experience as a substitute for doctoral degree.
** The successful candidate for Senior ISCB Member demonstrates sustained professional performance (in a teaching, research, or development capacity in the field of computational biology) by securing three endorsements from eligible ISCB members. Eligible endorsers are professional ISCB members in good standing from the following groups: ISCB Fellows, current and past ISCB Board of Directors members, and Senior ISCB Members.
Initiating Senior Member Status:
An ISCB professional member can self-nominate via an online form for elevation to senior member status or be nominated by any of the eligible endorsers. After the ISCB staff verifies that a candidate meets the first criteria, all endorsers are given an opportunity to endorse the candidate. Each eligible candidate securing three or more endorsements (excluding self) will be elevated to the status of senior member. As the endorsers are not required to participate in voting, senior member candidates are encouraged to contact a small number of eligible endorsers to secure their support through personal interaction.
Maintaining and Re-establishing the Senior Member Status:
The senior ISCB member must remain in good standing to retain his or her status. If good standing is not maintained, the senior member status becomes invalid. Senior member status is automatically re-established when the member returns to good standing. However, if a senior member has more than a one-year lapse in membership and returns to good standing, he/she will not receive the 10% registration discount to ISCB official conferences unless he/she remains in good standing for two-consecutive years.
Benefits to Senior Member Status:
As a Senior Member of the Society, members enjoy
• Recognition on the ISCB website featuring our Senior Members
• Special recognition ribbons at ISCB official conferences
• Opportunity to be selected for keynote speaking positions, important steering committees, and other leadership roles
• Annual 10% registration discount off the early member rate for a select ISCB official conference of choice
• Special ISCB Senior Member logo for website and CV