Travel Fellowships – ISMB/ECCB 2011
Attention all ISMB/ECCB 2011 Travel Fellowship awardees: Your travel fellowship check was mailed to you on Sepember 7th. If you have not yet received your check, depending on normal delivery time for mail to arrive from the East Cosst of the US to your address, you should expect to be receiving it very soon. Thank you for your participation as a Travel Fellowship awardee of our conference. We enjoyed having you and hope the experience was beneficial to your education and career!
Travel Fellowship Forms
All ISCB travel fellowship recipients are required to complete the downloadable form below to receive fellowship funding.
ISMB/ECCB 2011 is pleased to offer funding opportunities for students and postdoctoral fellows to present a talk or poster at the conference in Vienna, Austria. The conference organizers are committed to providing support to as many eligible applicants as possible, although our funding sources are very limited and we regret that we are not able to fund all applicants.
Each invitation will include a unique travel fellowship application URL to link to an application. The application URL must be submitted by the presenting author only, and only if he or she meets the eligibility requirements noted below. If the submitting author is not the presenting author, it is the responsibility of the submitting author to forward the invitation to the presenting author if he or she meets the eligibility requirements. Each application URL can only be used one time and no application will be accepted after the deadline of Friday, April 15, 2011.
1. Applicant must be a current ISCB member whose membership does not expire prior to the last day of the conference. Applications will not be accepted from non-members; pending memberships do not qualify and must be paid in full prior to submission of an application.
2. Applicant must be listed as an author or co-author on the original submission of an accepted ISMB/ECCB 2011 Paper, Poster (excluding accepted Late Posters), Highlights, or Late Breaking Research presentation, and, per the requirements of the funding agencies, the funded applicant must be the presenting author of the work. (Submitters to the "Call for Late Posters" are not eligible for fellowship funding.)
3. Applicant must be registered in a degree program (undergraduate or graduate) or as a postdoctoral research fellow at an accredited educational institution at the time of the conference.
4. Applicant must be prepared to register for ISMB/ECCB 2011 by the early registration deadline of June 3, 2011, and plan to attend the all 3 conference days (July 17-19). If attendance at the conference is dependent on receipt of travel fellowship funds, please do not register until after the notification of travel fellowship funding. Any funded applicant failing to register for the conference by the early registration deadline of June 3, 2011 will automatically forfeit the funds so that another applicant can be awarded from among the original pool of applicants.
5. Applicant must be able to pay all expenses of attending the conference up front, including conference registration fee (as noted in #4 above), travel, accommodations and meals. Travel Fellowship funding will be provided as a reimbursement approximately 4-6 weeks after the conference.
If you meet all of the eligibility requirements above AND are a US citizen or US permanent resident AND belong to a minority group recognized as underrepresented in the sciences by the NIH, please be aware that you qualify to apply for a Minority Access to Research Careers (MARC) travel award through the Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology (FASEB). These awards are meant to cover the full cost of attending the conference, and therefore we highly encourage all MARC eligible presenters to apply for these funds. For more information and to link to an application form, please see: http://www.faseb.org/Marc/MARC-and-Professional-Development/Travel-Awards/Travel-Awards--Scientific-Meetings-and-Conferences.aspx and then click on Poster/Platform (Oral) Presenter Travel Award at the bottom of the page to access the MARC application form.
Further, funding to ISMB/ECCB 2011 will either be awarded through ISMB/ECCB 2011 or through the MARC program, not both. However, because funding availability is very limited, an application to the MARC program is encouraged for all who meet the MARC eligibility criteria.
Eligible expenses toward travel fellowship funds include conference registration, transportation (air or land transportation from home region to conference city), and a maximum of 400 Euros of hotel room and occupancy tax charges. In order to receive the full awarded amount, receipts for registration, transportation and hotel accommodations are required that equal or exceed the awarded amount. Conference registration fee is reimbursable at the early registration pricing only; registration fees to attend pre-conference events such as SIGs and Tutorials are not reimbursable expenses.
The maximum fellowship award is determined based on geographical location of applicant and upon submission of appropriate receipts. Please note that even funded applicants will not be able to cover all their expenses with these fellowship amounts. Thus all applicants must seek and secure additional funding sources (e.g., from your home institution/university, or grant funding). For ISMB/ECCB 2011 maximum awards will be as follows:
Applicants will be notified no later than May 23, 2011 of the funding status. Funded applicants will be required to present evidence of their eligibility status (such as student identification card) at the conference registration desk to receive their funds, and must sign in with the Travel Fellowships Desk each of the 3 conference days. In all cases, funds will be mailed to funded applicants after the conference.
(1) The submitting author will be sent the invitation and is responsible for getting the invitation to the presenting author if the work is not being presented by the submitting author;
(2) Applicant must be a current member of ISCB prior to submitting an application;
(3) Applicant must be listed as an author and be the presenter of an accepted Paper, Poster, Highlights or Late Breaking Research presentation in order to be eligible to apply for travel fellowship funds through ISMB/ECCB 2011 (MARC applications can be made after notification of accepted Late Poster and/or Art and Science presentation);
(4) All applicants must attend all 3 conference days and secure additional funding from other sources in order to be able to cover the full costs of attending the conference;
(5) Applicant's that plan to apply for MARC funds must do so per the URL in the MARC Funding section above (not applicable as the additional funding source mentioned in summary item #4 above);
(6) The deadline to submit a fellowship application is Friday, April 15, 2011, by 11:59 PM in the time zone of your choice. No exceptions will be made.
The information on this page is subject to change without notice, and all changed information will be considered final for the purposes of awarding and funding ISMB/ECCB 2011 Travel Fellowships.