Junior Principal Investigators Workshop at ISMB 2014
Sunday July 13, 10:30am - 12:25 pm, Lunch 12:30-2:00pm
Building on the success of the JPI meeting in 2013, the JPI workshop will bring together scientists who recently started or expect to start their own research group. It will serve the purpose of launching a community of junior PIs within the broader field of Computational Biology, providing the ideal platform for networking opportunities and the sharing of valuable experiences.
Present your research
During the workshop you will get the chance to present your research in a 2-3 minute elevator pitch using a single presentation slide. This will facilitate networking opportunities and help connect you with potential collaborators. If you want to present you must submit a presentation slide (see details below).
Hear from one of the best
An expert in the field (TBC) will deliver a keynote talk on how to successfully set up and lead your lab.
Discuss the challenges of being a Junior PI with your peers
There will be a series of round-table discussions at the JPI lunch (immediately following the workshop) at an offsite venue (TBC, tickets available soon). During this session we aim to learn from each other by discussing topics that are relevant to being a Junior PI. Examples: Grant writing, hiring and supervising, setting up collaborations, leading a team, and the role of social networks/media in maximizing research impact. Use the submission form to suggest topics relevant to you. Register your interest in attending the lunch during slide submission (details below).
Submission website: www.easychair.org/conferences/?conf=jpiismb2014.
Please include the following information in the abstract box on the submission website:
- a short bio about you and your research to share with participants (maximum 200 words)
- any topic recommendations for the round table discussions
- whether you will attend the JPI lunch following the workshop to continue round table discussions (tickets sold separately)
- Workshop website: www.iscb.org/cms_addon/conferences/ismb2014/workshops.php
- JPI COSI: http://cosi.iscb.org/wiki/JPI:Home
- JPI linkedin group: http://www.linkedin.com/groups/PIs-in-Computational-Biology-4990102