Updated April 2018
The International Society for Computational Biology, Inc. (ISCB) respects, and is committed to protecting, the privacy of its members and readers. This Privacy Statement describes the policy and practice for use of information collected online from the ISCB website (iscb.org), its affiliated websites, and all order forms and member services accessible from those sites. These sites may link to other websites over which, ISCB has no control and, therefore, is not responsible. Your use of ISCB websites constitutes your acceptance of this Privacy Statement. If you do not agree with all the terms in this Privacy Statement, you should not use ISCB websites or services.
This Privacy Statement Describes
- The types of information ISCB collects from members, subscribers, and readers and how this information is used
- With whom ISCB shares the information it collects
- Steps that ISCB takes to protect the privacy of the information it collects
- Choices the user may make about the information he or she provides
Types and Use of Information Collected
- Personal Information
ISCB collects only information supplied by the user. On certain web pages, ISCB asks the user to enter personal information such as name, address, email address, telephone number, fax number, credit card number, and other information from which the user's identity is discernible. Examples include:
- Membership renewal information
- ISCB official conferences registration
- ISCB donation and annual giving pages
- Sponsorship and exhibiting forms
- ISCB Career Center
- When users contact ISCB by phone or email
Personal data collected by ISCB is: (a) processed lawfully, fairly and in a transparent manner in relation to the data subject; (b) collected for specified, explicit and legitimate purposes and not further processed in a manner that is incompatible with those purposes; (c) adequate, relevant and limited to what is necessary in relation to the purposes for which data are processed; (d) accurate and, where necessary, kept up to date; every reasonable step is taken to ensure that personal data that are inaccurate, having regard to the purposes for which they are processed, are erased or rectified without delay; (e) kept in a form which permits identification of data subjects for no longer than is necessary for the purposes for which the personal data are processed or for which is provided consent by the user; personal data stored for longer periods insofar as the personal data will be processed solely for archiving purposes are safeguarded; (f) processed in a manner that ensures appropriate security of the personal data, including protection against unauthorized or unlawful processing and against accidental loss, destruction or damage, using appropriate technical or organizational measures.
- Non-Personal Information
ISCB also collects non-personal information such as:
- IP addresses.
- Web-beacons. These are objects embedded into a webpage or email, which allow ISCB to confirm that the user has viewed the webpage or the email.
- Referring website addresses.
Sharing of Information
ISCB does not sell or otherwise disclose the information it collects to third parties, except as follows:
- If required to do so by law, or if requested/subpoenaed by law enforcement agencies.
- Information may be disclosed to consultants for internal business purposes.
- ISCB may sell its mailing list to parties who provide products or services of interest the community. Members who do not wish to have their information shared may opt-out of mailing in their member profiles.
Steps ISCB Takes to Protect the Privacy of Information it Collects
ISCB implements reasonable technical and administrative practices to safeguard the information it collects. For example, ISCB server's are firewalled to help protect a breach of data. ISCB employees are trained on appropriate use of information and the need for confidentiality. In addition, credit card payments submitted online on web pages are secured by the appropriate software and verified by Authorize.net. Credit card numbers submitted online are not stored by ISCB.
- If you would like to update your member contact information and preferences, you can do so at MyISCB
- To unsubscribe from email alerts from ISCB, click unsubscribe at the bottom of the email.
- Request a copy of what is being stored by ISCB. Request processing times will apply.
- Your use of ISCB websites constitutes your acceptance of this Privacy Statement. If you do not agree with all the terms in this Privacy Statement, you should not use ISCB websites or services.
Changes to this Privacy Statement
ISCB reserves the right to make changes to this Privacy Statement at any time. These changes will be indicated by a change to the "Last Updated" date on the page. Your continued use of the sites after any change indicates your agreement with the altered Privacy Statement.
ISCB does not knowingly collect personal information from children under the age of 18. If ISCB learns that it has personally identifiable information about a child under the age of 18, this information will be deleted. If you are under the age of 18 and wish to register to obtain further information or be included in a survey, your parent or legal guardian must register for you.