Call for Travel Fellowships – ISMB 2014
Travel Fellowship Application Invitations are sent directly to eligible individuals after acceptance of a accepted Proceedings paper, Highlight paper, Late Breaking Research abstract, and Poster (excluding accepted Late Posters).
- The submitting author will be sent the invitation and is responsible for getting the invitation to the presenting author if the work is not being presented by the submitting author;
- Applicant must be a current member of ISCB prior to submitting an application;
- Applicant must be listed as an author and be the presenter of an accepted Paper, Poster, Highlights or Late Breaking Research presentation in order to be eligible to apply for travel fellowship funds through ISMB 2014 (MARC applications can be made after notification of accepted Late Poster and/or Art and Science presentation);
- All applicants must attend all 3 conference days and secure additional funding from other sources in order to be able to cover the full costs of attending the conference;
- Applicant's that plan to apply for MARC funds must do so per the URL in the MARC Funding section above (not applicable as the additional funding source mentioned in summary item #4 above) - the MARC application deadline is June 1st and cannot be extended;
- The deadline to submit a fellowship application is April 25, 2014, by 5:00 Eastern Time. No exceptions will be made.
|MAXIMUM FUNDS TO BE AWARDED PER REGION OF APPLICANT|
Each invitation will include a unique travel fellowship application URL to link to an application. The application URL must be submitted by the presenting author only, if he or she meets the qualifying requirements. If the submitting author is not the presenting author, it is the responsibility of the submitting author to forward the invitation to the presenting author if he or she meets the eligibility requirements. Each application URL can only be used one time and no application will be accepted after the deadline of April 25, 2014.
- Applicant must be a current ISCB member whose membership does not expire prior to the last day of the conference (July 15, 2014). Applications will not be accepted from non-members; pending memberships do not qualify and must be paid in full prior to submission of an application.
- Applicant must be listed as an author or co-author on the original submission of an accepted ISMB 2014 Proceedings paper, Highlight paper, Late Breaking Research abstract, or Poster (excluding accepted Late Posters), and, per the requirements of the funding agencies, the funded applicant must be the presenting author of the work. (Submitters to the "Call for Late Posters" are not eligible for fellowship funding.)
- Applicant must be registered in a degree program (undergraduate or graduate) or as a postdoctoral research fellow at an accredited educational institution at the time of the conference; post docs and employees of any US federal agency are ineligible for funding using US federal funds - currently we have only US federal funds for this travel fellowship program.
- Applicant must be prepared to register for ISMB 2014 by the early registration deadline of June 6, 2014, and plan to attend all 3 conference days (July 13, 14, 15). If attendance at the conference is dependent on receipt of travel fellowship funds, please do not register until after the notification of travel fellowship funding. Any funded applicant failing to register for the conference by the early registration deadline of June 6, 2014 will automatically forfeit the funds so that another applicant can be awarded from among the original pool of applicants.
- Applicant must be able to pay all expenses of attending the conference up front, including conference registration fee (as noted in #4 above), travel, accommodations and meals. Travel Fellowship funding will be provided as a reimbursement as a check payable in USD and mailed to the participant approximately 6-8 weeks after the conference.
The FASEB MARC Program provides funding for travel awards to support the participation of graduate students and postdoctoral fellows selected to give poster or platform (oral) presentations at the ISMB 2014. The travel awards help to defray meeting registration and travel-related expenses (lodging, transportation, per diem) for eligible graduate students and postdoctoral fellows from underrepresented groups in the biomedical and behavioral sciences. Full-time graduate students and postdoctoral fellows meeting the citizenship/residency requirements at accredited postsecondary minority institutions are also eligible to apply for the travel awards.
The FASEB MARC Travel Award Application Receipt Deadline is May 9, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT. For more information and to obtain an application form, please visit: http://bit.ly/FASEB-MARCTravelAwards and then select the 2014 ISCB Meetings: Poster/Platform (Oral) application form located at the bottom of the page. NOTE: Faculty/Student travel awards are not available for international meetings. (NIGMS/NIH restrictions)
Further, funding to ISMB 2014 will either be awarded through ISMB 2014 or through the FASEB MARC Program, not both. However, because funding availability is very limited, an application to the FASEB MARC Program is encouraged for all who meet the FASEB MARC eligibility criteria.
Eligible expenses toward travel fellowship funds include conference registration, transportation (air or land transportation from home region to conference city), a maximum of $660 USD of hotel room and occupancy tax charges, and a maximum of $165 USD in meal expenses. In order to receive the full-awarded amount, receipts for registration, transportation and hotel accommodations are required that equal or exceed the awarded amount. Conference registration fee is reimbursable at the early registration pricing only; registration fees to attend pre-conference events such as SIGs and Tutorials are not reimbursable expenses, but the registration fee for the Student Council Symposium is an accepted expense (only when also registering for the full conference).
The maximum fellowship award is determined based on geographical location of applicant and upon submission of appropriate receipts. Please note that funded applicants will only be able to cover approximately 50% of the expense of travel and registration fees with these fellowship amounts. Thus all applicants must seek and secure additional funding sources (e.g., from your home institution/university, or grant funding). For ISMB 2014 maximum awards will be as follows: