Awards - ISMB 2018
Ian Lawson Van Toch Memorial Award for Outstanding Student Paper
F1000Research Poster Award
RCSB PDB Poster Prize
The Outstanding Student Paper Award is given to the student who presents the most thought-provoking or original paper at the Conference, as judged by our panel of experts.
This award is given in memory of Ian Lawson Van Toch, a 23 year old Medical Biophysics graduate student at the University of Toronto who passed away in August 2007. Ian was fortunate to have already discovered his passion for computational biology and how it can - and will - lead to quantum breakthroughs in cancer research. This passion was sparked when Dr Igor Jurisica hired Ian to work in his lab at the Ontario Cancer Institute as a researcher during the summer of 2006. That introduction blossomed into a mentoring relationship that is so vital to helping young students launch their careers.
Our thanks go to the Princess Margaret Hospital Foundation who has sponsored this award since 2008.
Past recipients of this special award include:
- ISMB 2018: Rani Powers, University of Colorado, United States
- ISMB/ECCB 2017: Kymberleigh Pagel, Indiana University, United States
- ISMB 2016: Yaron Orenstein, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, United States
- ISMB/ECCB 2015: Farhad Hormozdiari, University of California, Los Angeles, United States
- ISMB 2014: Andrey D. Prjibelski, St. Petersburg Academic University, Russia
- ISMB/ECCB 2013: Wyatt Clark, Indiana University, United States
- ISMB 2012: Deniz Yorukoglu, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, United States
- ISMB/ECCB 2011: Sara Berthoumieux, Inria, France
- ISMB 2010: Keren Yizhak, Tel Aviv University, Israel
- ISMB/ECCB 2009: Manfred Claassen, ETH Zurich, Switzerland
- ISMB 2008: Lucas Ward, Columbia University, United States
F1000 will present six poster awards for outstanding ISMB 2018 poster presentations. Prizes include a one year subscription to F1000Prime and F1000 Workspace, plus a free article submission to F1000Research (value $1000).
The RCSB PDB Poster Prize will be awarded for the best student poster presentation in the category of Structure and Function Prediction. The award will consist of a related educational book.
Other information is at