ISMB 2018 - Travel Fellowship Application
Chair: Lucia Peixoto, Washington State University, United States
Co-chair: Catherine Putonti, Loyola University Chicago, United States
Grants: Terry Gaasterland, Vice President, ISCB; University of California San Diego, United States
ISCB is pleased to offer travel fellowships to ISMB 2018 for students and postdoctoral fellows to present a talk or poster at the conference in Chicago, United States. Funding sources for Travel Fellowships are very limited and we regret that we are not able to fund all applicants. The conference organizers are committed to providing support to as many eligible applicants as possible. Travel Fellowship consideration is based on membership and accepted work to ISMB 2018.
Travel Fellowship Application Invitations are sent directly to eligible individuals after acceptance of a scientific submissions to Proceedings, Abstracts (previously late-breaking or highlights), or Posters.
TRAVEL FELLOWSHIP APPLICATION OVERVIEW:
- The submitting author will be sent the invitation and is responsible for getting the invitation to the presenting author if the work is not being presented by the submitting author;
- Applicant must be a current member of ISCB prior to submitting an application;
- Applicant must be listed as an author and be the presenter of an accepted Oral or Poster presentation (excluding accepted Late Posters) in order to be eligible to apply for travel fellowship funds through ISMB 2018
- All applicants must attend all four(4) conference days and secure additional funding from other sources in order to be able to cover the full costs of attending the conference;
- The deadline to submit a fellowship application is May 11, 2018, by 5:00 Eastern Time. No exceptions will be made.
|Travel Fellowship Key Dates
|May 11, 2018
|Travel Fellowship Application Deadline
|May 25, 2018
|CAMDA Travel Fellowship Deadline
|June 1, 2018
|Travel Fellowship Acceptance Notification
|June 1, 2018
|CAMDA Travel Fellowship Notification
|June 7, 2018
|Early Bird Registration Deadline (11:00 pm Pacific Daylight Time)
MAXIMUM AWARD AMOUNTS
The maximum fellowship award is determined based on geographical location of applicant and upon submission of appropriate receipts. Please note that funded applicants will only be able to cover approximately 50% of the expense of travel and registration fees with these fellowship amounts. Thus all applicants must seek and secure additional funding sources (e.g., from your home institution/university, or grant funding). For ISMB 2018 maximum awards will be as follows:
|MAXIMUM FUNDS TO BE AWARDED PER REGION OF APPLICANT
|Asia (excluding Middle East)
|Mexico / Central America / South America
Each invitation will include a unique travel fellowship application URL to link to an application. The application URL must be submitted by the presenting author only, if he or she meets the qualifying requirements. If the submitting author is not the presenting author, it is the responsibility of the submitting author to forward the invitation to the presenting author if he or she meets the eligibility requirements. Each application URL can only be used one time and no application will be accepted after the deadline of May 11, 2018.
1. Applicant must be a current ISCB member whose membership does not expire prior to the last day of the conference (July 10, 2018). Applications will not be accepted from non-members; pending memberships do not qualify and must be paid in full prior to submission of an application.
2. Applicant must be listed as an author or co-author on the original submission of an accepted ISMB 2018 Proceedings paper, Abstracts (previously Highlight paper and Late Breaking Research abstract), or Poster (excluding accepted Late Posters), and, per the requirements of the funding agencies, the funded applicant must be the presenting author of the work. (Submitters to the "Call for Late Posters" are not eligible for fellowship funding.)
3. Applicant must be registered in a degree program (undergraduate or graduate) or as a *postdoctoral research fellow at an accredited educational institution at the time of the conference; post docs and employees of any US federal agency are ineligible for funding using US federal funds - currently we have only US federal funds for this travel fellowship program. (*The period of eligibility for a PostDoc is five (5) years from the time of their PhD completion date).
4. Applicant must be prepared to register for ISMB 2018 by the early registration deadline of June 7, 2018, and plan to attend all four conference days. If attendance at the conference is dependent on receipt of travel fellowship funds, please do not register until after the notification of travel fellowship funding. Any funded applicant failing to register for the conference by the early registration deadline of June 7, 2018 will automatically forfeit the funds so that another applicant can be awarded from among the original pool of applicants.
5. Applicant must be able to pay all expenses of attending the conference up front, including conference registration fee (as noted in #4 above), travel, accommodations and meals. Travel Fellowship funding will be provided as a reimbursement as a check payable in USD and mailed to the participant approximately 6-8 weeks after the conference.
Eligible expenses toward travel fellowship funds include conference registration, transportation (air or land transportation from home region to conference city), a maximum of $660 USD of hotel room and occupancy tax charges, and a maximum of $165 USD in meal expenses. The hotel must be booked within the conference hotel book to be eligible for reimbursement. In order to receive the full-awarded amount, receipts for registration, transportation and hotel accommodations are required that equal or exceed the awarded amount. Conference registration fee is reimbursable at the early registration pricing only; registration fees to attend pre-conference tutorials are not reimbursable expenses, but the registration fee for the Student Council Symposium is an accepted expense (only when also registering for the full conference).
Applicants will be notified no later than June 1, 2018 of the funding status. In some cases applicants may be notified they are on a wait list for funding, which means that ISCB is fully expecting but still awaiting the formal confirmation of our grant award from one or more granting agency, and that awarding of those funds will not be possible until the grant needed to fund the travel fellowship is confirmed. Any wait listed applicant that is eventually awarded funds will be offered the opportunity to register at the early registration rate, therefore, please do not register for the conference if your attendance is fully dependent on being awarded a travel fellowship as any cancellation of an applicant's registration will be subject to the full regular registration cancellation policy.
The information on this page is subject to change without notice, and all changed information will be considered final for the purposes of awarding and funding ISMB 2018 Travel Fellowships.