Awards - ISMB 2020
The Outstanding Student Paper Award is given to the student who presents the most thought-provoking or original paper at the Conference, as judged by our panel of experts.
This award is given in memory of Ian Lawson Van Toch, a 23 year old Medical Biophysics graduate student at the University of Toronto who passed away in August 2007. Ian was fortunate to have already discovered his passion for computational biology and how it can - and will - lead to quantum breakthroughs in cancer research. This passion was sparked when Dr Igor Jurisica hired Ian to work in his lab at the Ontario Cancer Institute as a researcher during the summer of 2006. That introduction blossomed into a mentoring relationship that is so vital to helping young students launch their careers.
Our thanks go to the Princess Margaret Hospital Foundation who has sponsored this award since 2008.
Past recipients of this special award include:
- ISMB/ECCB 2019 - Torsten Gross, IRI Life Sciences, Humboldt University, Germany and
Dinithi Sumanaweera, Monash University, Australia
- ISMB 2018: Rani Powers, University of Colorado, United States
- ISMB/ECCB 2017: Kymberleigh Pagel, Indiana University, United States
- ISMB 2016: Yaron Orenstein, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, United States
- ISMB/ECCB 2015: Farhad Hormozdiari, University of California, Los Angeles, United States
- ISMB 2014: Andrey D. Prjibelski, St. Petersburg Academic University, Russia
- ISMB/ECCB 2013: Wyatt Clark, Indiana University, United States
- ISMB 2012: Deniz Yorukoglu, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, United States
- ISMB/ECCB 2011: Sara Berthoumieux, Inria, France
- ISMB 2010: Keren Yizhak, Tel Aviv University, Israel
- ISMB/ECCB 2009: Manfred Claassen, ETH Zurich, Switzerland